1. achieve A. pie B. quiet C. niece D. tie
2. appear A. heart B. fear C. heard D. earn
3. laugh A. bright B. daughter C. enough D. although
4. blow A. snow B. allow C. however D. crowd
5. bathe A. birth B. breath C. theater D. their
6. — ______I invite Jack to the party?
— Yes, it’ll be nice if you_______.
A. Will; may B. Shall; will C. Shall; shall D. Will; will
7. Henry is fond of talking on ______ telephone while John is interested in listening to _____ radio.
A. the; the B. the; 不填 C.不填; .不填 D.不填; the
8. You had to have one of your teeth pulled out yesterday, ______?
A. had you B. hadn’t you C. did you D. didn’t you
9. He’s got himself into a dangerous situation _____ he is likely to lose control over the plane.
A. where B. which C. while D. why
10. It’s _____ me why Alice, aged 28, gave up her job and got married to a man of 82.
A. under B. above C. beyond D. over
11. Another five weeks _______ necessary for us to finish the work.
A. are B. was C. is D. will have been
12. Carol said the work would be done by October, ＿＿ personally I doubt very much.
A. it B. that C. when D. which
13. The new reporters hurried to the airport, only _____ the film stars had left.
A. to tell B. telling C. to be told D. to have been told
14. I insisted that the thief _________ to be put into prison.
A. refers B. refer C. referred D. referring
15. Boris has brains. In fact, I doubt whether anyone in the class has ________ IQ.
A. a high B. a higher C. the higher D. the highest